Monday, July 12, 2010

192/365 | Elmo Cupcakes

For Kenzie's 2nd Birthday

Yesterday was Kenzie's second birthday. About a week or two ago I decided that instead of buying a cake or cupcakes, I would just bake some and decorate them with an Elmo theme. She LOVES Elmo these days, so it was perfect. I baked from scratch some chocolate mud cupcakes that I know have gone over well in the past, and since they were a heavier and more cake-like consistency I knew they would work out well in place of birthday cake. Of course, I was so busy with things on Saturday, that I didn't get around to decorating the cupcakes until 10 p.m. that night. Fortunately, I had baked the 2 dozen cupcakes I needed earlier in the day. I could not find red sprinkles anywhere, so had to make do with the red sugar sprinkles. Some recipes I found suggested using orange gumdrops for the nose, but I found these red sour cherry candies that worked out well, and the flavor went really well with the chocolate. The eyes are white icing with chocolate chips. When I was almost finished I started running low on white icing so opted to make "2" cupcakes. These two cupcakes were the cupcakes I pulled to the side for Kenzie. Unfortunately, since we waited too long to get to the cake, she was pretty tired and crabby from missing a nap and having too much fun with everybody, and basically wanted nothing to do with her cupcakes. I think she also was pretty upset to see the 2 candle burning so closely to her beloved Elmo (the candle was on the 2 cupcake). She ended up having some of her 2 cupcake tonight after dinner.

No comments: