Saturday, October 22, 2011

293/365:2

293/365:2 by daisy plus three
293/365:2, a photo by daisy plus three on Flickr.

blurred
--
I don't know, I just liked this one even though it is blurry.

I had derby practice this morning, which was fun. We did some blocking drills, a paceline, and a jammer drill/race. I like that I think I surprise people and am a fast skater. I've never really been into sports or any kind of team sport, but with derby I found a sport that I enjoy and challenge myself with. When I started with Derby Lite almost a year ago, it was something completely outside my comfort zone. I didn't know what to expect, but now I push myself to try harder, to skate lower, to skate faster, to work on cross overs, to skate fast and stop fast...so many things that a year ago I didn't think I would be doing.

We went to see the last home bout for the Windy City Rollers tonight, and while we were there (with both kids) John and I were talking about taking the kids to the bouts. He commented that he feels its a really good experience to take the girls because there aren't a lot of sports out there for women. When you understand roller derby and what's going on, it's not a spectator sport with women beating each other up, it's a competitive sport with fearless, tough, strong women, and I hope that my girls grow up to be fearless, tough, strong women. And I hope that if I ever decide to take my derby life to the next level that my daughters will look at me, and see me as fearless, tough and strong.

No comments: